Monday 24 March 2014

De-pop app or is it more of a de-flop?

Having a read through some blogs the other night I came across a few recommendations for an app called Depop! The app is basically like an eBay store but where your favourite fashion bloggers sell their items! I was really intrigued as so many bloggers use the app and gave it such good reviews! 
So I downloaded the app and signed up straight away as it's pretty straight forward with the usual email address password and pic etc! It also gives the options of who you follow on Instagram to follow on the app if they are a seller or buyer! It's pretty much the same as eBay with a search engine if you are looking for a particular brand, product or seller! 
   Now here's the part where I actually decided to use the app! I found a pic of some Topshop boots and immediately wanted them! I private messaged the seller who said they were still available and postage was only £3.50! I asked if paypal was ok to send payment and she agreed but said that she only accepts friends and family payment method so she doesn't incurr business fees against what she gets! So in return I asked that the boots be sent for with signed delivery this way we seem to both be protected! Or so I thought! I then sent payment and messaged to say I had done so, and she replied thank you and confirmed to be sending the boots either later that day or in the morning! This wasn't a problem and i was happy with the outcome! The next day came and I decided to message to see if the boots had now been posted and there wasn't an instant reply, this didn't bother me as I thought oh maybe she's working or something, so once I had finished work that evening I checked for a reply and still nothing. There was nothing still for another four days!!!! Alarm bells did start to ring but not until I went onto the item I had purchased and seen another three people had wrote comments of "don't buy she's a scammer" and "she never sends items just takes money!"  My heart sank. First time on this app and I had been scammed! I immediately got onto my PayPal and was trying all sorts to cancel payment and send refunds requests but it was no use as because she had requested the money through friends and  family it wasn't a business agreement it was sent as a gift! Even though in the reference box I had put this money is for the Topshop boots in size five! 
    The next day still reeling from knowing there was little that could be done with now paypal sending me an email saying they wouldn't refund the money i knew my only hope was to ring nationwide for help! It just seemed so unfair that she would be getting away with this time and time again! (Please note that another three people had wrote they had also purchased these boots from her, seven in total including me)! Nationwide was a lot more understanding and in the end put a case against paypal to get my money back due to the fact it was a fraudulent transaction! In the meantime I had to call paypal and explain why nationwide was doing this! 
    I'm now awaiting a final decision on this so hopefully will know an outcome in the next few days! I have definitely learnt my lesson and won't be so happy to send money so quickly next time! The shocking thing is the seller is still on the app!!! De-pop haven't taken her down as yet, but with all the complaints I can't imagine it will take much longer!
    Just make sure you are really careful before purchasing goods online and try and seek reviews so you know who you are buying from!




Vicki xoxo

1 comment:

Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig