Saturday 28 June 2014

Does size matter? A Nokia Lumia 1520 Review

I recently got contacted from the lovely guys over at Connects, who asked if i was interested in looking after a Nokia Lumia 1520 for a couple of weeks. How could I resist? Well I'm glad I took the opportunity, and what better way than to share my views with you lovely readers on my blog!

Here it is.......



A phone review wouldn't be a review without some geeky tech info but i do feel that it's essential when talking about this phone!

When I first opened the box I was rather surprised to see how large this smart phone was, at 162.8mm in length, 85.4mm in width and a depth of 8.7mm, when i'm used to the Apple iPhone 5 which in comparison is a lot smaller at 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm.




I have used an iPhone for the past three years and I totally couldn't imagine my life without it, before the iPhone I was in love with my Blackberry, but now i'm all about the Apple brand, I have the iPhone 5, an iPad Mini and a MacBook Air. So this was a nice change to see how a Nokia Lumia worked.

Heres some facts to consider about the Lumia

1. Battery
    3400 mAh, (this is massive), in normal terms 32 days on stand by and 27.4 hours talk time. I did put this to the test and for the whole two weeks I didn't actually charge the phone until I had to send it back (out of politeness) as it didn't need charging! I even left it on over night and used it throughout the day just because I could!

2. Snapdragon S800
    The first ever windows phone to pack a quad core processor! In normal terms, it's well fast!!!!!

3. Camera
    20 mp Pure View, more detail than most cameras! Pictures come to life on your screen.

4. Display
    The display is a massive 6 inches!!! And is the first Nokia smart phone to have a HD screen.

5. Memory
     32 GB


The phone itself was a little difficult to get used to at first, pretty much just trying to find my way round took longer than normal. The reason for this though is because this phone packs so much into it, its easy to get lost on the way round!No joke! I actually didn't put my sim in to the phone, instead I just connected it to my wifi, as I pretty much just use a phone for all the social media apps such as instagram, twitter and bloglovin to name but a few,  rather than call people! I know, I know, so unsocial it's untrue!
   The size of the phone was surprising, being so large, but we are now a society that has literally gone from taking the house phone round with us, to phones that were so small they would get hidden at the bottom of a bag to back full circle with bigger phones again. When I first had the iPhone it seemed massive, now the Nokia lumia makes it look small in comparison. With being a blogger we have ideas that pop into our head every day for new posts, or ideas on what we can next shoot to put on instagram, and this phone was great for popping things down! It was nice to see my ideas on such a large screen instead of having to enlarge things like when using an iPhone and one of its apps. For this reason it beats the iPhone hands down, but when I pretended to make calls, (weird, but just to see), it felt too large against my face, like i was holding my iPad mini to my ear!







   The camera was immense and the picture quality was as good if not better than my actual holiday camera. I personally liked how much detail could be seen from as something as simple as taking a picture of a flower.
   Now the battery!!! Where to start? Well as previously said I didn't have to charge the battery the whole time I had it, and the only time I did was just before I sent it back! But not just that it also has the option of wireless charging! Can you imagine! Wireless charging!!! I don't know about you but I have probably had five new cables this year alone! iPhone chargers always seem to loosen up at the point near the plug and then BANG! Your phone no longer charges!
   The story book feature is great as it stores your pictures based on time and location, so you will never forget what day you took the picture, which is another godsend when blogging as you have so much going on you can forget what day it is!!! That teamed with the lush camera equals some pretty awesome pictures in detail!

Since looking after the Lumia I noticed how many people actually had this phone! One that I hadn't really heard too much about or really considered was pretty out there with different age groups using it day to day!

Now the big question! Would I go buy one or get one on contract?
  In all honesty I would actually consider it, if the contract was a good one once my iPhone contract was up. I quite like that its a phone thats like a tablet with extras and like I said in the blogging world you have to keep in the know to know whats hot and whats not! I really enjoyed having this phone and learning its features for the past couple of weeks, and I absolutely recommend if you are in the market for a new phone! Don't dismiss it for its size, take a look and see all the amazing features it can offer you.

So there you have it. A little insight into the Nokia Lumia 1520. Hope this helps sum up any queries you had about the phone because its definitely one to consider!!!

Vicki xoxo

   








2 comments:

  1. I really like this review style, it's not all techy with numbers it's a real persons review.
    I was never bothered by the iPhones till I had one as a gift, now it rarely leaves my hand (I still have a 4S but it suits me fine)
    Reading your review has slightly persuaded me to go take a look, the big screen seems ideally perfect for blogging notes and keeping up to date on the go.
    Brilliant Review girlie

    Charl X
    www.uniquebeautys.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I have been contemplating ditching my iPhone and this has helped get my thoughts together. Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig